Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Mountain Goats


The Mountain Goats is the best ever urban folk band in Claremont, California. I would like nothing more than to be lying in the sun on The Grass right now listening to any song off of the 2002 release All Hail West Texas right now. Unfortunately, its dark and cold (California cold at least), and I have a strong feeling that the bed of green is all kinds of wet. So, make believe with me if you care while you read. Last year it seemed as though the wacked out stereo on the Civic would only play The Mountain Goats and because of this I got very sick of the music, and left it alone for a while. I am happy now to have rediscovered the greatness of John Darnielle's simply emotional voice coming through with a strong lo-fi sound. The Mountain Goats later work takes on a different feel. From Tallahassee onwards Darnielle began to work in a studio with a band. While adopting a new sound, the music is in no way inferior. Songs like Broom People are easy proof that even when the circumstances have changed, at the heart of the music, the same artist is still creating. One of my favorite songs by them is Color In Your Cheeks. Not that I think you should probably check it out or something.

No comments:

 
provided by hit-counter-download.com