Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Traffic


I was saving this band for a special occasion. In this case, that occasion is poster's block. Before I begin, I would like to thank my Physics teacher for introducing me to these guys (as well as many other bands). But I've wasted enough of my own time for now. On to the review.
Traffic is an attestant to how versatile Classic Rock, or Rock 'n Roll in general, can be. They got started in 1967 by front man Steve Winwood in Birmingham, England. They are considered Psychedelic and/or Progressive Rock, so the tend to not be as heavy as other bands; however, they definitely have their fair share of heavy stuff. One interesting aspect of Traffic is their use of a flute sorta like Jethro Tull. I suppose the main difference is that Jethro Tull focused a lot more on the flute than Traffic does. The songs range from wonderful melodies with great lyrics to strange meshes of psychedelic sounds with instruments played quasi-normally in the background (listen to Giving To You and you'll know what I mean). At times I just can't get over how well these songs are written; when they're meant to go together, they do it amazingly well. Sections that ordinarily wouldn't fit with the song they're in will be integrated seamlessly, and these seemingly random pieces join together like a jigsaw puzzle to create an image and experience that is unforgettable. Without a doubt, Traffic is one of my favorite bands. And right now I'm afraid if I say more I'll either over-hype them or give a description that doesn't fit. Some songs to show versatility and awesomeness: Coloured Rain, Heaven Is In Your Mind, Hidden Treasure, and Rock n Roll Stew.

No comments:

 
provided by hit-counter-download.com