Friday, February 15, 2008

Brand New




Brand New is the ultimate drunk band. I don’t mean this in that they are bawdy, or slovenly in a way that appeals to drunks. I mean to say that Brand New has the ability to jack into you heart, and then strum it a few times like a guitar, and this is easiest, and generally happens most, when you (and by you I mean me, and everyone I know) are drunk.

Their most recent release is The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me, but I most recently got their 2003 release Deja Entadu. To put it short, this album is already on my top 10 of all time. Brand new is generally categorized as ‘emo rock’, but this is not accurate. I think of them as Post Rock, if you make the distinction. This means blistering, melodic, and most of all beautiful and creative guitar work, and incredible drumming. Vocaly is where this band truly shines for me though. Fans of screaming (and I mean the emo screaming, not the metal kind, so angst filled howl, not hairless bear growl) will not be disappointed, and when that’s not happening, the singer lays down a blissful soundtrack filled with lyrics that are, admittedly angst filled, but pleasantly creative and specific.

Really this band takes a while to grow on you. Their songs are beautiful, but it’s not until your driving home at 1 in the morning, howling along at the top of your lungs, less sober then you really should be, and pouring out not just the sorrow, but the happiness, that lays in your soul, that you really get them. Then your hooked, and then you really understand. Or, maybe it’s just me.


-Sigmund Amadeus Werndorf


Side note, thought I'd throw out their songs "Play Crack the Sky" and "The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows".

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Have you heard any of the songs from The Devil and God are Raging Inside me? It's a very good album. Not quite as good as Deja Entendu but it is still amazing. My favorite song from it has got to be "The Archers Bows Have Broken", which I really fell in love with when I heard them sing it during a concert of theirs.

 
provided by hit-counter-download.com